This morning, the ISD 279 School Board held an emergency meeting to consider a revised proposal for how to start the school year. The board approved my recommendation, which means:
- The first day of school for all students will be Monday, Sept. 14
- For the first two weeks of the school year (Sept 14-25), all students will be taught in the distance learning model (100% remote learning)
- On Monday, Sept. 28, all students (except those who are already enrolled in the Distance Learning Academy) will transition to the hybrid model, which means:
- Group A students will attend school in person on Monday and Wednesday, and do remote learning on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Group B students will attend school in person on Tuesday and Thursday, and do remote learning on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- If you do not know your child’s hybrid group assignment, please check your ParentVUE account or contact your child’s school.
The board’s approval of my revised recommendation allows us to start school while providing more time to:
- Properly staff the Distance Learning Academy and all physical schools, including hiring new employees in areas where we are short-staffed
- Provide additional staff training in effective instruction in the hybrid model
- Continue to monitor virus case rates in our local communities
I know these are extremely trying times for families and staff. In a typical year, we would know what school “should” look like. This year, however, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, change is the only constant, and it is testing our collective spirit. I sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate these challenging times. I know our staff can’t wait to see your children, whether on screen or face to face, and to build relationships with them.
Please know that the goal of my revised recommendation is to ensure that we are truly Ready to Restart on Sept. 14, and to provide your scholar the best educational experience possible during the 2020-2021 school year.
Thank you for your support of Osseo Area Schools.